• 2 Watts Street Wandering
  • 08 9884 1014

Our History

Formal education commenced in Wandering in 1869 to 'instruct’ the 20 - 30 children running about the bush in a semi state of savagery'. (F. Watts) Originally the government school was established in 1875 further down the hill at a cost of 119 pounds, but abandoned due to it being too low and too wet. The 'new' school-building was set up as a one-classroom weatherboard school in 1924 and internal additions and alterations have been carried out over years to provide more suitable facilities for the Kindergarten and Pre-Primary students.

Wandering Primary School was opened in 1869 and relocated to its present site in 1924. It is a small rural school situated 130kms SE of Perth and located near state forests. Wandering is a long-time farming community with two substantial mining ventures in the district, Newmont Boddington Gold and BHP Billiton Worsley Alumina.

There is a strong collegiate bond amongst the staff, resulting in innovative and interesting learning programs being provided for the students. There is a positive school/community relationship, with the community being involved in school decision-making processes. Although relatively isolated, strong bonds are fostered with nearby Boddington District High School and Williams Primary School.

Over the 2003/2004 period the school has been able to enjoy a new Administration Block, new Toilet Block and new early childhood upgrade. These changes have improved the working environment of the teaching staff and learning environment of the students.

2005 saw the commencement of Wandering Primary School's bus run. This reduces the burden on parents to transport children to and from school each day. Students living 5 kms or more from the school can apply to access the school bus.

In 2005 Wandering Primary School received an 'Investing In Our Schools' grant for $50 000 to add a reticulated and grassed oval to the amenities. This was achieved in 2006, with a large water storage tank and a sports equipment shed on the edge of the oval.

Boddington District High School is 34kms to the west, Pingelly Primary School, 60 kms to the east, Williams Primary School, 60kms to South, and the Narrogin schools are 74kms south-east.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.